1. Health
Ann Pizer

Lululemon - The Mat -The Review

By November 10, 2011

Having recently created my ultimate yoga mat comparison chart, I was feeling pretty certain that I had covered the basic options available and found the best mat for my practice. But then I started hearing some buzz about Lululemon's new mat, simply called The Mat (or Le Tapis, if you parlez franšais). Well, you can't really call your comparison chart "ultimate" without taking a look at the new kid on the block, right? Still, I wasn't expecting anything revelatory. I even promised my daughter she could have the pretty pink mat when I was done testing it. But much to my surprise, I kind of love this mat. It is very different from any other mat I've tried, due to the satiny finish on the polyurethane side (The Mat is reversible and the other side is rubber). It provides great traction, yet is softer than other premium yoga mats. Some have complained about the smell, but I found it very tolerable compared to other rubber mats. Since The Mat is quite new, I can't vouch for it's longevity yet, though the folks at Lulu assure me it should last 3 to 4 years. I'll have some data on that soon, since The Mat has become my new favorite go-to choice. Yes, I totally backed out of giving it to my daughter. She is happy enough with the pretty purple mat that was relegated to the bottom of the heap by the arrival of The Mat. Check out how The Mat stacks up to the competition here.

Comments
November 19, 2011 at 5:12 pm
(1) patty says:

This mat is by far the best mat I have ever used. Great job Lulu!!

December 30, 2011 at 6:37 pm
(2) Marilyn says:

I do NOT like this mat. It is too smooth. My yoga towel does not grip at all and slides all over the place. I am constantly having to adjust my towel during a workout session, or else I trip over the towel. I’ve tried using the mat without the towel, but for hot yoga with sweat dripping down, it’s gross and again, too smooth. It’s also very thick and heavy, making it clumsy and difficult to transport. I got it as a Christmas gift and I am going to try to return it. I would never recommend this for anyone who does hot yoga.

December 30, 2011 at 8:56 pm
(3) yoga says:

Fair enough, I don’t use it for hot yoga. It is reversible if you want to try your towel on the textured side.

February 23, 2012 at 5:07 pm
(4) Wade.C. says:

Wonderful for Hot Yoga, 5 Stars 4 Diamonds. Hyperhydrosis very heavy sweat in Hot yoga. I can stick all my poses no slipping. This changed my practise overnight, you get what you pay and the right tool for the job for those of us that are heavy sweaters and need traction. Slipping in a pose if you are deep into can hurt your ligaments, please if you have small hands or feet without the stickiness this mat helps. I now can go to deeper lengths into the yoga practice just because I bought/have this mat. It is the Mat…..

My question, the reason I am online is:

What side of this mat is up therefore what side is down?
Reversible…..

P.S.
chicken or egg, chicken because eggs are high in LDL cholesterol….

June 26, 2012 at 1:01 pm
(5) waterlilly12 says:

I love The Mat! This is my favorite and I have tried them all. I practice Vinyasa Flow 5-6 days per week. I needed something that cushioned my touchy knees, held up to a daily practice, did not slip in down dog (my pet peve), and was also pretty. This mat fits the bill. Fantastic grip, just the right cushion, holds up well so far (couple months, will update later), and is super cool. Unlike any other mat in class. The Lululemon stores have a much larger range of colors than is available on line. I learned about The Mat here so I wanted to leave a comment. Thanks Ann for including it in your review.

July 1, 2012 at 11:24 pm
(6) yoga says:

Thanks for posting! Let me know how it holds up over time.

December 15, 2012 at 5:37 pm
(7) Gregory says:

I purchased my “The Mat” in June 2011 and have used it in approximately 6 classes a week ever since. I choose to use the softer side as it gives me better grip. Unfortunately my mat is now de-laminating in the spots that I stand in warrior poses. I took it to my yoga studio where I bought it -Hari Om yoga in Langley and was told The Mat is not reversible and that is why the LULU Lemon logo is only on the slippy shiny side. I cant find anything about it being reversible.

December 15, 2012 at 9:03 pm
(8) yoga says:

Hi Gregory,
In the description of the Lululemon website, it says “flip your mat over to choose the best surface for your practice.” Unfortunately, I think the damage you’re describing would probably fall under normal wear and tear.

February 27, 2013 at 9:05 pm
(9) Jennifer says:

I just started doing Yoga and naturally went straight to lulu for a mat. I purchased the mat and I love it. I don’t love the smell but I’ve yet to slip. Also I love the length, I am 6ft and can use the mat comfortably! Thanks lulu!

February 27, 2013 at 9:05 pm
(10) Jennifer says:

September 21, 2013 at 3:34 pm
(11) Adam says:

Hmm, not sure what Marilyn is talking about — I use this mat w/o a towel on top for hot yoga and it actually has more grip when it is damp. If it is soaking with sweat, though, yes, it can get slippery. What I do is just have a hand towel and take one quick swipe of the excess sweat, and it is very grippy again.

December 23, 2013 at 7:34 pm
(12) Rose says:

I’m with Gregory! I love my (un-) mat, but the top layer has worn off in the spots where I plant my feet in warrior and prasarita poses.
Luckily the staff at my local Lulu store have taken it back and given me a new one. It’s NOT normal wear and tear, the damage to the top layer causes slippage. Normal wear and tear are the little nicks etc.
It keeps happening though and I don’t feel good about continuing to return it. Not sure what to do.