Benefits: Strengthen the ankles and thighs, stretches the hamstrings, improves balance and core strength.
1. From Trikonasana, soften the right knee and bring the left hand to your hip.
2. Bring the right hand to the floor about a foot in front of the right foot with the fingertips on the floor.
3. Begin to straighten the right leg while simultaneously raising the left leg.
4. Open the hips, stacking the left hip on top of the right hip.
5. Bring the left leg straight and parallel to the floor, flexing the left foot with the toes facing forward.
6. When you feel balanced on the right leg, reach the left arm up toward the ceiling, opening the chest and making a straight line with the right and left arms.
7. Finally, bring the gaze up toward the left fingertips
8. Repeat on the left side
Beginners: Take a block underneath the right hand. Do the pose near a wall and bring the left foot to the wall when you raise the left leg.
Advanced: Bring the right hand a few inches off of the floor or onto your right ankle. Reach back and clasp the left ankle for sugarcane pose.