Benefits: Strengthens the arms, wrists and abdomen. Good preparation for more challenging arm balances.
Chaturanga is like a push-up, and as such is a great arm strengthener. It is part of the Sun Salutation vinyasa sequence of poses.
1. From Plank position, come a little bit forward on your toes.
2. Bend the arms straight back, keeping the upper arms hugging into your sides as you lower down toward the floor.
3. Stop when your forearms and upper arms are at a right angle.
3. Keep the whole body very straight.
4. Roll over the toes coming into Upward Facing Dog.
Beginners: Drop your knees to the floor until you build enough strength to support the body with the arms. Practice Knees, Chest and Chin if Chaturanga is not possible.
Advanced: Hold the pose before coming forward into Up Dog. If you have tried practicing Plank with one leg at a time lifted, try moving into Chaturanga while keeping your leg lifted.