Type of pose: Hip opener
Benefits: Opens the hips and groin
1. Come to stand with the feet about mat's width apart.
2. Bend the knees, coming into a squat.
3. Keep the feet as close to parallel as possible.
4. Take the upper arms inside your knees and bend the elbows. Bring the palms together into anjali mudra (prayer position).
5. Try to bring the hands to your heart center with the forearms parallel to the floor to open the knees slightly.
6. Keep the spine straight and shoulders relaxed.
7. Stay here for five breaths, then straighten the legs to come out.
Beginners: Bring a folded blanket under your heels for support if your heels come up when you squat. This is better than trying to balance on the balls of your feet.
Advanced: If your feet are parallel, work on bringing them closer together.