Benefits: Stretches and strengthens the legs, especially the hamstrings.
1. From Downward Facing Dog – Adho Muhka Svanasana,bring the right foot forward next to the right hand.
2. Straighten the right leg as you step the left foot forward so that the feet are about three feet apart. The left foot is facing forward with sole flat on the floor.
3. Bring the body to an upright position and make sure the hips are squared towards the front of the mat.
4. Lengthen the spine on an inhale.
5. On the next exhale, deepen the right hip crease as you come into a forward bend bringing the hands to the floor or onto blocks if they don’t reach the floor.
6. On each inhale, lengthen the spine. On each exhale, take the forward bend a little deeper.
To keep the body in balance, repeat on the left side.
Beginners: Use blocks under the hands so you can keep the legs straight and work on the forward bend.
Advanced: Try these variations.