Type of pose: Seated Twist
Benefits: Opens the shoulders, neck and hips while stretching the spine. Cleanses the internal organs
1. From Staff Pose - Dandasana, bend your left knee and bring the sole of your left foot to the floor on the outside of the right thigh.
2. Bend the right knee, and tuck the right foot in near the left buttock.
3. Inhale and bring the right arm up near your right ear.
4. Exhale and twist the to the left, bringing the right elbow to the outside the of left knee and the left palm to the floor, just behind your sit bones.
5. Look out over the left shoulder, but don’t overturn the neck -- the twist originates in the belly, not the neck.
6. On each inhale, draw the spine long, and on each exhale, twist a little deeper.
7. Be sure to keep the sole of your left foot flat on the floor.
8. When you release the pose, take a slight counter twist to the opposite direction.
9. Release the legs and switch their position as you prepare to twist to the other side.
Beginners: You may want to sit on some padding if you are uncomfortable. If you cannot bend it into the ideal position, you may also keep the right leg extended.
Advanced: Come into a bind with the arms. Thread the right arm back underneath the left knee. Reach the left arm behind your back, and clasp the left wrist with your right hand.