1. Come in to a kneeling position with the thighs perpendicular to the floor.
2. Bring the right leg straight out in front of you with the heel on the floor.
3. Begin to slide the right heel forward, keeping the right leg straight, until you have also brought the left leg as straight as possible extending behind you.
4. Keep the hips parallel and facing forward.
5. To come out, bend the right leg and draw it back toward the body.
6. Hold the pose for 5 to 10 breaths, and then repeat on the other side.
Beginners: Place a blanket under the front heel to help you slide forward.
Use a block under each hand to support yourself if you cannot straighten the back leg completely. You can also place a block under the front leg for support if it does not come down to the floor.
Be careful! This is an intense hamstring stretch. Only come down as far as is comfortable.
Advanced: If you are able to straighten both legs and come all the way down to the floor, interlace the fingers over your head and take a slight backbend.